Friday, May 18, 2012

Turin Turambar Interview


1. Can you tell us a little bit about the band for those that have never heard of you before?
AT. Salve. There's not much to tell. The band was formed in 1992 soon after I'd terminated activity of my previous band. For over two years period we existed as a regular band. Then starting from 1995 I have transformed the band into a megrim ensemble. This means no holds barred, there's no pressure of any kind, anyone can play, even only me myself and I do not seek plauditis. The band has become something like space in which I can realize any of my ideas.

2. How would you describe your musical sound?
AT. Thrash Metal with accretions. It may sound weird or pretentiously, but everything is based on Thrash Metal here. When the band was formed it was intended to perform Death Metal. But eventually we were playing Thrash with a touch of Death then. After that I was playing pure Thrash. Corona Regni Satanae is based on pure Thrash riffs too. However there are more accretions. When it comes to physical sound of music on CRS, it is much more aware, regardless of the fact that I did not succeed in souring it exactly in the manner I intended to.

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?
AT. All the lyrics are my description of surrounding reality, a kind of few shots. They are not linked by a common story. They have one thing in common however, they speak of Poland,a country where I've been born, where I live and where I'll drop dead. A country called Poland, but you cannot find many Poles in terms of genetic belonging or ethics of living and killing. The title of my last recordings is a paraphrase of Corona Regni Poloniae, a latin name of Poland's state system from the times of the last Piast till times of my next planned recording session, which I will probably title Rzeczpospolita Czartowska. This kind of lexical trick skilfully presents basic level of human masses existence: hypocrisy. Can induce somebody to think, but I am not quite sure if it is advisable.
Before, I was writing all TT lyrics in three ways: abstract idea and its verbal presentation, description of some piece of art, which touched me, for example a movie, or finally a description of a dream. I was not shutting myself up in wider concepts. Presently I am not so lazy or naive. Nor young and dumb.

4. I know that the band name came of the writings Of Tolkien what was it that interested you about this character?
AT. I found the works of Tolkien, including Silmarillion, at the age of ten. All references to his works just make me laugh. You know which names I mean. I set it down to their age. I was 18 years old when I've formed TT too. Now I wouldn't name my most important band like this, but I am loyal to myself and I will not rename this band. I label my recordings as TT now. Fools tend to classify everything around.
Coming back to Tolkien, the story of Turin is darkest thing that author could afford. It is based on the core of tragedy as defined by cultures of Northern Europe. This story brings hopelessness.

5. Has the band had any oppurtunities to do any live shows if you what are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?
AT. The band performed last gig in January 1995. That was our second live when sober. Formula of live show does not work with me. I want too much straight away and then there is no place for performing anymore. I do not exclude finally this form. When I get into the mood, I will play live with this band. Maybe for not-accidental ten persons. For me it's awkward to bear the collision of entertaining people and my notion of them.

6. I have noticed that there was a Polish version of a Celtic Frost song, what was the decision behind doing the cover and changing the lyrics to a different langauge?
AT. I need to congratulate you sincerely. You are the first person to notice that. I can be wrong, but in the reviews of CRS nobody has brought this fact so far, regardless of being stated in black and white in the insert – paraphrase of Celtic Frost track. Lyrical paraphrase as well as musical.
I think, speak, love and hate in polish. How can I express emotions in other language? Admittedly, I have written numerous well lyrics in English, but did I perfectly convey what I meant? I had rather been born with this language and I do not fuckin' care, that most of the world speaks it. I have confronted the opinions saying that unfortunately all lyrics are not in English, otherwise I could have reached more listeners. Did anyone asked me if I want to reach them?
This cover could not have been performed in other language. It does not disturb consistency and upgrades its chic. It is neither a translation of original. I based on it, but I approve not all the words, different scenes come into my sight, than in author's. I've made the original a ground for layer of sound, but it is not like mine to follow someone's track, but so to speak, to write it afresh. To keep the atmosphere, not the score, upkeep only the core, significant sounds or few flag riffs. This is a homage for the author, a symbol saying that I consider this piece outstanding. Out of spite.

 7. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of black metal and experimental music?
AT. We need to examine a few facts in this perspective. First of all this record has never been released. I hand made about 100 CDs and handed in a dozen or so to acquaintances and then Grzegorz of Godz ov War insistently has sent out the remaining pieces around the world. Some reviews have been issued. It was similar in cases of production of the record. I recorded the music in 2008, but not earlier than 2010 kniaz Przerost Mrom forced me to finalize it. It is other people willing to introduce it to the public, not me. They've allowed themselves to be moulded like this. I do not insist that casual sequence is important for me: write songs, release them in some format, play live, copulate or instead of it with satisfaction  welcome applause of other satisfied chaps, let oneself, and more likely others, earn and finally drink oceanof alcohul or quit eating meat.

Nevertheless, it is true that I am interested in its reception. Otherwise I would have to be not a human and not willing to be valued. I read all reviews when I get to know about them. If one is favourable, it improves my mood. If not, the effect is opposite. When I am hammered, I abuse the guy or destroy something physically out of powerless anger caused by distance between me and opponent. The best review I could receive, back when demo recordings were made, was from co-worker of TT's first guitarist. He's heard the tracks by chance and acknowledged that it sounds as if written by an insane.

8. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?
AT. Currently I have forty minutes of music. I quit playing in other bands and I polish the sounds rehearsing. I do not know when I initiate recording because new members are not holding on mentally and rotation proceeds. Musically it is going to be Thrash Metal with accretions. Despite all wise guys of  metal-archives.com there will be a lot of punk. And stage song. In spite and to confusion.

9. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
AT. Very quickly, in alphabetical order, not to make it as if I have favoured certain band: Venom, Sodom, Slayer, Sarcófago, Pink Floyd, Overkill, Metallica, Manowar, Led Zeppelin, Laibach, Kreator, King Crimson, Kat, Dragon, Carcass, Bathory, Anthrax. Most of the listed ones is about early recordings. I feel great about it. And I will.
But also I like to listen to the music, which I listened since childhood to. Military and patriotic songs, native popular and classical music.

10. Does Paganism or Occultism play any role in the music?
AT. None. For me these are as pitiful and wretched as religions.

11. Outside of music what are some of your interests?
AT.


12. Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?
AT. Thank you for interview. It is always nice to talk.


LINE UP:
Ataman Tolovy – bass, guitars, vocals

Official website



No comments:

Post a Comment